Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fifa alarmed at widespread 'abuse' of painkillers


Dr Jiri Dvorak found that prior to every game almost 40% of players at the 2010 World Cup were taking pain medication.Dr Dvorak told the BBC that younger players are imitating the seniors and taking painkillers far too frequently.  "I think we can use the word abuse - because the dimension is just too much," He believes that the growing use of painkillers in football is the pressure on team doctors to get injured players back on the pitch quickly. "What we have seen from the Fifa studies is that often athletes take the pain killers as a preventive. The NFL players say that sometimes they were lined up in what they termed a 'cattle call' and injected with the drug whether they were injured or not. Dr Tanya Hagen: the easy availability of powerful pain medications contributes to the problem of abuse.
My Opinion
My opinion about this is that it is ridiculous that sportsmen are taking so much drugs. I thought sportsmen were diehards, tough and could handle some pain. After reading this, my dream was shattered. I’m not just mad I’m also concerned. This is a big deal! I think there has to be more information about use of those painkillers and how and when to use it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment