Thursday, June 14, 2012

IVF 'higher risk of complication'


The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said there were increased risks of premature births, low birth weight and congenital abnormalities. "About one in four of all IVF pregnancies result in a multiple birth in the UK owing to the common practice of replacing two or three embryos.". IVF babies have more problems than normal babies. They have higher risk for heart defects, cleft lips and other congenital anomalies. There would be a little impact at the age of 12. Later in life there were no differences in the brain, language or behavioral development. Prof Jenny Kurinczuk, director of the National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit at the University of Oxford, said: "The poor birth outcomes and complications may be a combination of treatment and underlying features of the couple such as older maternal age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18297122

My Opinion

My opinion about this story is that I think IVF is a good solution for women who can’t get pregnant. I know there are complications with using IVF. I heard that it happens a lot that women get like 6 – 8 children at once because they use so much sperm to make sure the IVF works. I think the treatment has to become better, that less complications with the babies. And if there are any complications the solution has to be better than it is now. With these improvements, it would be the best solution ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment